Friday, July 10, 2009

All about my special sister: Deborah

I write this post today with teary eyes. It is about a wonderful, one-of-a-kind sister, my *baby* sister. This lady is a very special wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, neighbor and NURSE! I have learned so much from her ~ from her example. I am so very proud of her. And I admire her courage, determination and HEART! Let me add that God has blessed me with 9 wonderful siblings, 4 sisters and 5 brothers. All are special and I love them very much. But I am certain that even if we don’t say it, we ALL agree that Debbie is a very special person and that we are **blessed beyond measure** to be her sister. It is not every day you find someone like this.

You might be wondering, what makes her so special? Here are just a few things she has done or have endured that I can remember, and I am sure I will forget many! First, she has nothing, because everything she has or gets is given to whoever needs it (I sometimes call it redistribution of assets). If she knows or sees you in need of ANYTHING – food, clothes, medicines, a telephone, attention, love, a hug, a listening ear, a plane ticket, an electric bill unpaid– she will get if for you, regardless of who you are or if you can repay her. No strings attached! She supports and helps her husband, who is now fulfilling a life dream to be a part of the National Guard and is in training in Oklahoma. She lives and sacrifices for her children – ensuring they get unconditional love and understanding and then some very nice things such a trips, great education, tutoring when needed, extra activities they want to be part of, things they want, and more. She helps our mom and help with many extra expenses, also some of our siblings, and right now one of our nephews. For those of us who know her well….remember when she helped Emily and her children? Also Toño’s young cousin from CT? Josue? Lourdes? And now, Margarita! Then, she had her stillborn baby girl- Victoria Eugenia back in 2003. And she worked hard to get her nursing license. She worked mediocre jobs before her actual job to help sustain the family. She traveled to PR to help take care of Abuelita Miguela. She helped with Geñito during his difficult crisis here in 2003. And looking back many years ago, she stayed with David in the hospital when he burnt himself. Personally, she supported our decision to adopt and helped with me from beginning to end. She was also at my side during one of the darkest times of my life, and stayed on my side even when it meant losing contact with some family members. She has been at my side during my ups and downs. She has quite an impressive life resume!!

God, this woman is an angel disguised as my sister!!!!! I am humbled to know her, be part of her life, and call her MY SISTER!

As we will celebrate another year of HER beautiful life this coming Tuesday, July 14, I want everyone and specially you-Debbie- to know that I love you, that I am very proud of you, that I am blessed to be your sister and your friend and that you can count on me whenever you need me. You are leaving such a beautiful example and legacy to your children and to all you know and touch every single day. Happy birthday!

Blessings and much love!!





1 comment:

Debbymar said...

Every one has a mother so special, kind and sweet.
But no one has a mother quite like me.

There were a lot of times along my journey of life, when I felt I couldnt do it, things just werent right.
In my darkest hours you were my light.
In my endless journey, you were my guide.
Theres a perfect world shining in your eyes.
The safest place for me is in your arms.
Through difficult times, you showed me the way to go, thats what mothers are for. But I believe my mother was my best friend, and my sister and I'm so glad because... well she's all mine!

Yeah... A little thing I just did here... not the best of my work but I'm satisfied. I totally teared up when I saw this its just that.... its so true and I cant believe I wont be there on her B-Day but tell her that I love her so much and that I miss her!